Sunday 2 February 2014

The Curly Hair Struggle

I won’t lie. For years I didn’t embrace my curls as I probably should have. Don’t tell my mum that though. I hate the phrase “I told you so”. I’ve been growing my hair longer recently and I love how my curls look at this longer length. I have some product recommendations and tips which helped me to embrace dat curl! Hopefully they’ll be useful for you too.

When washing my hair (something I need to do every other day), Herbal Essences has been my knight in shining armour. I currently use their ‘Tousle Me Softly’ shampoo, conditioner and styling cream. The scent is Wild Violet which I personally think smells really nice and quite natural in the hair. The products don’t leave my hair greasy which some higher end products have done. A small amount of the styling cream applied evenly through wet hair helps to hold the curls as the hair dries, but avoid too much cream in one area, and not on the roots, as this can leave the hair sticky and tangled.


 


When drying my hair, if I have time to let it dry naturally, I find this gives the best curls and doesn’t add to much volume – not always the best thing when you have curly hair. If I do use a hairdryer, I have it on a medium heat and when I want to perfect the curl I like to use a diffuser. I currently use the BaByliss Dry and Curl 2100W hairdryer, which is fairly inexpensive. I always try to use a Heat Defence Spray and often a Curling spray. For this, I would recommend Phil Smith products – they don’t leave the hair feeling greasy or stiff, like some sprays can.

I won’t lie, I’m no Leona Lewis when I finish this routine, but I don’t think I look too bad. And I don’t want to sound like my mum, but seriously ladies, learn to love those curls - others would give their arm for hair naturally like ours!


- Alex 

No comments:

Post a Comment